How do I manage access to boards?
Whimsical offers several ways to manage board permissions.
Access to a board depends on three things:
- In which section of the workspace the board is located in?
- What is the role of the user accessing the board in the workspace or the team?
- Is the Sharable Link for the board enabled?
Workspace sections are the primary way of managing access to boards for workspace members. To change access to a board you can move it from one section to another.
Just like in a Personal Workspace, boards located in the folders under the Private section are only editable by you.
By default nobody else can access your private boards. You can use the Shareable Link feature (described below) to enable view or comment access to individual private boards. Comments can only be added by registered Whimsical users.
A team is a subset of workspace members. Each workspace team gets its own workspace section. Team members can be Editors or Viewers. Only existing workspace members can join a team.
Boards located in the team section are only editable by the team members with an Editor role. Team members with a Viewer role can only view or comment on team boards.
By default, nobody else has access to team boards. You can use the Shareable Link feature to enable view or comment access to individual team boards to people who are not members of the team. Comments can only be added by registered Whimsical users.
Boards located in the Shared section are accessible by all workspace members. Similarly to team members, a workspace member has either an Editor or a Viewer role.
You can use Shareable Link feature to enable view or comment access to individual workspace boards for people who are not members of the workspace.
Here's how the different sections look:
Shareable Link and Board Sharing Settings
A shareable link allows anybody with the link (URL) to view or add comments to the board. Remember that comments can only be added by registered Whimsical users.
Access through the Shareable Link is disabled by default. To give people access, click the Airplane icon (upper-right corner) and choose Get Shareable Link. From there, you can toggle the settings for Anyone with a link to let people view, comment or disable access.
Here are the settings in more detail:
- Has No Access - prevents the link working for anyone who is not part of your workspace.
- Can View - lets anyone view the boards if they have the shareable link.
- Can Comment - lets anyone who is a registered Whimsical user comment on the board if they have the shareable link.
The other board sharing settings are:
- Include Board Position - toggling this will open the board in the same exact position when the link was created
- Require Password - enable if you want to protect the board with a password