Creating and managing teams
Teams allow you to better organize your workspace and ensure the right people can conveniently access the right files.
Create a Team
There are multiple ways to create a team:
- Use the “+” button from the sidebar:
2. Go to "Manage Teams", which you'll find under your workspace name in the top left, then click “Create a Team”:
3. Right-click on an existing folder to convert it to a team:
You'll then be asked to name your team and choose the default user role for workspace members who join the team.
Private Teams and the Viewer role are not available on the Starter Plan. They are available when you upgrade to our Org plan.
You can also customize your team appearance. Change the team color and icon by clicking on the dropdown menu next to the name of your team:
Finally, you’ll have the option to invite workspace members to join your newly created team.
Customize a Team
Create a Home for your Team
Each team can create a “Home”, which is a great place to share important details such as your team's goals, current projects, and information about team members, making it easier for others to get to know your team, understand how you work and what you're working on.
You can create your Team Home using one of our templates which you’ll find in the team’s “Home” tab:
Alternatively, you can create your own file from scratch and set it as your Team Home. Just right-click the file and select 'Set as Team Home”:
To remove an existing Team Home, right-click the file that’s currently set as your Team Home or the “Home” tab itself, and select “Remove as Team Home”:
Here are a few ideas you can add to your Team Home:
- Centralize important resources: Your Team Home can serve as a hub for frequently used resources, making it easy for team members to find what they need.
- Keep everyone informed: Keep everybody up-to-date about important news by featuring a roadmap or an announcement board with sticky notes.
- Feature key files: Showcase your team’s most important docs and other resources by adding links to key documents or creating a file library.
- Highlight your team: Introduce others to your teammates to help everyone understand your roles and responsibilities and how to best collaborate with you.
- Please note: If your Team Home is created on a board, this will contribute to the board limit on the Starter plan as one of your three shared boards. To get unlimited shared boards, upgrade to Pro.
Change Team Color, Icon, or Name
To rename your team or change its color or icon, right-click on the name of the team from the sidebar, then choose “Team Settings” or click the gear icon from the team view:
A new window will appear, allowing you to modify your team's name and appearance:
Manage Team Members
Add New Members to a Team
When you invite a new person to your workspace
To add new members to one or multiple teams as soon as they join your workspace, you can:
1. Click “Invite People to [workspace name]”, which you’ll find under your workspace name in the top left and add one or multiple teams from the list:
- If your workspace has SAML SSO enabled, you'll first need to add new members to the workspace before adding them to any teams.
- You won't be able to add teams to generic invite links as teams can only be added to individual invites.
Adding existing members of your workspace
To add existing workspace members to one or more teams, go to “Manage Teams”, which you'll find under your workspace name in the top left, choose a team and click “Invite New Members”:
1. Right-click on the name of the team from the sidebar, then choose “Manage Members” or click “Manage Members” from the team view:
2. Go to Workspace Members Settings and click the “+” button:
- All members of the workspace are automatically included in the “Everybody at [workspace name]” team, which serves as a place to share information relevant to everybody in the workspace (e.g. company-wide goals or wikis). It’s not possible to leave this team.
- Private Teams are not available on the Starter Plan. They are available when you upgrade to our Org plan.
Set Default Team Member Role
To better control access to the files stored in a team, workspace admins can set the default role for members joining a new team. You can choose the default role when creating a team or in the team settings page:
The set role will define what the member can do in each specific team, and each workspace member can have different roles in different teams.
Team editors can edit and create new files in the team, whereas team viewers can view and comment on all files shared in a team. You can learn more about member roles in this article.
- Even if the default team role is set to “Editor”, workspace members with “Viewer” role will only be able to view and comment on the team files. Admins can update workspace member roles in the Workspace Members Settings.
- If the default team role is set to “Viewer”, workspace members with the “Editor” role will be limited to viewing files and adding comments.
- In open teams, the set team member role will also define the access for other workspace members that are not members of the specific team.
- The Viewer role in a workspace is not available on the Starter Plan. It is available when you upgrade to Pro.
Change Team Member Roles
To change individual team member roles, go to "Manage Teams", which you'll find under your workspace name in the top left. Choose the team and click the down arrow next to the person’s current role.
To promote a viewer to an editor, select “Add to team Editors”:
To demote an editor to a viewer, select “Remove from team Editors”:
Remove Members from a Team
To remove someone from a team, go to "Manage Teams", which you'll find under your workspace name in the top left. Choose the team and click the down arrow next to the person’s role you want to remove. Finally, select "Remove from team":
- Only workspace admins or team editors can remove and add members, set default member role, change member roles, or rename teams.
Join or Leave a Team
To browse all workspace teams and join a team, click on the “TEAMS” section or “Browse Teams” from the sidebar, then click on the team you want to join and click “Join Team” which you’ll find at the upper-right corner of the screen:
To leave a team, right-click on the name of the team you want to leave, click “Manage Members” or “View Members”, then click “Leave Team”:
Delete a Team
To delete a team, right-click on the name of the team from the sidebar, then choose “Team Settings” or click the gear icon from the team view:
Then choose “Delete Team” and confirm the deletion by entering the team name.
- Team deletion cannot be undone. Once a team is deleted, all team folders and files will be permanently lost.
- Only workspace admins or team editors can delete teams.