We've designed Whimsical so that one Organization or Company will have 1 Shared Workspace.
Are you working alone? If you do not need to collaborate with others in real-time, or do not need to have access to shared files together, you can use a Personal Workspace instead. You can always toggle between Workspaces using the drop-down menu in the upper left of your Workspace.
If you are working together across a whole Organization or Company, but also need to accommodate more levels of permissions for groups of people who need to have their work kept private, you can set up Teams.
So, as a quick breakdown:
- Workspace = Company-level, shared by all users in the Workspace
- Team = Department or Squad-level, accessible to only those users who are invited
Below is an introduction to the 3 sections you'll see
when you're signed into a Shared Workspace.
- Up top there is a private section that is only accessible by you when you are signed into the Shared Workspace (like we mention above, you can navigate to a different Shared Workspace or your Personal Workspace using the drop-down menu in the top left)
- Consider this your sandbox to make drafts or create documents you need to keep private. If you later want to share what you create more publicly in your Workspace, you can drag + drop boards into folders in the bottom Shared Section for all your Workspace.
- A Team is a totally private section within a Workspace (a secret Workspace within a Workspace 😃)
- Any Editor in your Workspace can create Teams and then invite other Workspace Members to join. (note: Viewers cannot create Teams)
- Only members added to the Team will be able to view or access the boards stored in the Team. Other Workspace members won't see Team boards and won't even know that the team itself exists.
- If you are a member of a Shared Workspace but are not a member of any Teams, this section will appear blank.
- The final section of your Workspace shows the Shared folders where ALL users (both Editors and Viewers) in the Workspace can see an interact with Boards & Folders.
Here's how the different sections look! Let's pretend the denizens of Arendelle decided they'd like to digitize their Kingdom's operations with Whimsical. This is a view of how the Arendelle Workspace would look from Kristoff's view when he's signed into the app.